Saturday, October 25, 2008

Holloween, Hollow Me

While putting on the Grim Ripper costume this afternoon, I realized how much I love Halloween more than Christmas. It also goes with the same conclusion that I'm not a "Christmasy" person. I am veering towards the Scrooge line of the fence, which is perfect to thrive on Halloween. Halloween's best purpose is to officially give leeway for people to randomly develop bulging pot bellies and allowing people, with already bulging pot bellies, an excuse to defend themselves.


Halloween for me is trick or treating. Candies, chocolates, Nanay's Valenciana and my anniversary with Mr. Consistent. It also officially marks the beginning of Christmas Eve, which makes it fun because it's the BEGINNING. Not the middle and not the ending either. Every December 25 I get depressed, not because of freaking loneliness it brings, but because the days will move faster and the next thing I would be seeing are pending issues at work. Talk about constantly cleaning the house and receiving random guests that do not even bother to advise their arrivals.

Also, Halloween is funner and more friends oriented. Not that Christmas spent with families and friends aren't fun, but Halloween has an edgier and has a more reckless side to it. It gives children and adults time to dress up and indulge themselves in fantasies. Halloween is for fun Costume parties, dinners, a moment to fool around and not be overly sentimental about the year. Sentimentality and Reminiscing are reserved during Christmas.

My Childhood Halloween was eating Nanay's sumptuous Valenciana while watching MGB, which has gone sour over the past years. They should've changed props and stories if they still wanted to be effective. Melting Jello looking high-school masks, background smoke which was similarly used in That's Entertainment number special and the same old actress playing White lady will never ever cut to Playstation playing kids. No wait. There's no Magandang Gabi Bayan now, right? Well, I'm not attuned to other magazine show versions either.

Halloween for me was the perfect time to read RL Stine novels I'd carefully bought over weekends before sembreak. Trick or Treating was fun, except for the walking part and wearing insulating costumes while sweating over caked make-up. But still, pretty much, my Halloween childhood memories were safe. As I got older, I still do trick or treating sometimes, but I was slowly introduced to adult Halloween Parties. Not that I really like it, but I find it exhilarating seeing adults go on full production with their costumes. I always feel I could goof around and no one would really notice. Maybe that's it, Halloween gives me the impression of having a license to get sick, twisted and ultimately scare people. Not that I don't do it in normal days, but I've noticed that in Halloween, people have more humor and they always turn out to be more forgiving.

Halloween will always have a special place in my heart. Mind you, even though I enjoy whatever that comes with it, I do sincerely pray for all those souls to go heaven (with exceptions to those dreaded bastards of course, a couple of more years in limbo should do the trick). I even thank familiar Saints that I sometimes ask help from, even though their specialties get mixed up. They know that I meant well. I sincerely believe that once a person is ordained a Saint, he or she has at least basic powers that come from being a Saint.



Whatever. Let Halloween Come in full blast.

No comments: