Monday, October 20, 2008

Just a Cell phone Thought

I think we can’t live anymore without a cell phone above other things like email and telephone. It’s an understated fact. There’s always this need to feel connected no matter how introvert or isolated someone has become. It’s so powerful that it makes transactions faster, people more accessible and contacts more selective, owning a certain level of privacy of the vast possibilities of networking.

According to the USATODAY, “Most families say technology has either helped their communication with other family members or made no difference. Very few say it has made communication worse.”

About 89% of married (or partnered) parents with children own multiple cellphones.
• 66% have high-speed broadband Internet connections in their homes (compared with a national average of 52%).
• 70% of couples in which both partners have cellphones contact each other daily just to say hello, 64% contact each other to coordinate schedules, and 42% of parents contact their children daily using a cellphone. (USA TODAY)

It brings families and friends closer.

Even though it’s totally convenient and helpful in communication, I can’t help it if sometimes I get irritated. I am one of those few people who would welcome the opportunity to go to an island and at least turn my cell phone off, cutting all connections to the rest of the world. I hate it when parents call or check up on me. Boyfriends hate it too when their girlfriends randomly check on them, always feeling being snooped around. When you are trying to consider a job offer, try assessing if the company would give you laptops or cell phones. It would be a gauge on how your work would consume your personal life. I was once offered a laptop and a cell phone, and basing it on the toxicity of the job, looming overtimes and entertaining calls in private hours, is far worse than being a fulfilled, busy doctor in Pediatrics. Needless to say, I declined.

Text and cellphones are helpful, duh. I can’t imagine living without it, but I sometimes I can’t stand them too. Tough schizo love it all brings.

No comments: