Friday, October 3, 2008

MIRRORS (Film)

10.3.08 9ish am

It was so gloomy yesterday that I contemplated on not taking a bath or move from my bed. My book was within reach and my right hand was glued to the remote control saturating entertainment from TV. I plan to start the second trilogy written by Josie Litton, which I bought from the States since she’s not famous here. I surprisingly liked her first trilogy, loud and proud.

Years back, I remember going to this random book sale in the Glorietta with my friend Tin Lucero. To make the trip more interesting, we decided to start a game to look for the lousiest title on display. I immediately saw Josie Litton’s first book, “Dream of Me” coupled by the second book “Believe in Me.” Pathetic, right? So we found ourselves laughing at the corner when Tin pulled a dare on me. She dared me to buy the books and to actually read it. At those times, I wasn’t interested in “Romance Novels.” I never imagined titles of it creeping in my library. That was my pre-Judith McNaught stages.

90% out of pride and 10% out of curiosity, I bought and actually read it, fairly giving its chapter a few shot. I apparently liked it. In a few hours I realized I have again proved myself wrong and decided to change my perspective on things. I vowed to be open minded from now on and not judge the book by its title (cover). I allowed myself to be more welcoming and kinder if I’m dealing with an unfamiliar subject. Romance is a pretty common and highly creative genre that one expects too much, but one finds himself being disappointed by some outlandish elements. It’s a detailed manifesto of PDA. If PDA sickens you out, how about reading it in full detail when it reality, it NEVER really happens (Believe me!). You also don’t buy romance books out of thin air unless it’s written by a renowned romance writer or the book considerably has a huge following. Josie Litton’s books, I’m sure has its own followers (which I’m not included), but certainly it doesn’t have any wide marketing campaign, reach and the titles are just plain bad. From that experience, I’ve learned to adjust my perceptions and to constantly surprise myself at unexpected choices. That is exactly what I did yesterday, but on movies.

I was flipping through channels hoping to get any idea to do something that does not require too much effort from a lazy person enjoying a lazy day. I chanced upon a trailer which shows on October 1st. The usual marketing trailer flashed in front of me and it only took me a few seconds to find out it’s either a psychological trailer veering towards horror flickdom. Since I wanted to do groceries yesterday, I decided to watch a movie as well. I asked my cousin if she’s interested, although she likes Eagle Eye better, I’m reserving it with Mitch. So I ended up being the one selling her MIRRORS and convincing her probably it’s going to be a B-Budgeted crap that we’d end up laughing to. By the way, it also ended up me treating her.

She had agreed and I called the nearest theater house to get the schedules. We went there drizzling and all almost 5 minutes to the showing time and I expected the theater to be jampacked like the mall was. After buying our overpriced crappy snacks, we surprisingly entered an almost empty theater. Seated, I was already feeling regretful. Probably it’s one of those movies that involved a lot of mirrors (duh!). It might have something to do with the usual plot where characters find themselves crazy at the end of the movie for imagining stuff while looking at mirrors. Then the movie will turn out to be a stretched psychological thriller. Worse, it could be something supernatural. Mirrors talk to the characters or mirrors trap souls inside, I have no idea. I just wanted to be entertained without thinking too much.


The story started when a crazed-looking man was running away from something imaginary. HE finds himself inside a comfort room of a train station trapped and surrounded by lots of mirrors. He then begs for his life on the image he sees in front of him (which is himself) as the mirrors slowly display cracks. The man tried to prevent the cracks from totally destroying the mirror. He tries to wipe it in desperation. Instead a mirror cracks sending sharp glass to the floor. The man involuntarily picks up the sharp glass and kills him self with it. It was obvious that his “evil” reflection was the one who forced it upon himself. So, it could possibly be a psychological thriller with a supernatural twist. Whatever. I decided to shut down my analysis. After watching the movie, it was a combination of something good and something useless.

I still have a lot of questions in the movie though. As a viewer, I could see the general structure of the story, but there were a few things that left me hanging. One is that if mirrors are windows to the other world where ghosts and spirits exist, how come Ben Carson (lead character, Kiefer Sutherland) could see them? Is this done selectively or it has something to do with being a night guard? Why are these “demons” still looking for Anna Esseker, another crucial character in the story? Is there a difference if they exist inside Anna when they could just easily create havoc when they’re in the “mirror world?” So is it safe to assume that spirits are trapped in the mirror world and they need a host for...a physical joyride? I know they are demons of Anna, but does it make sense to actually find her? Aren’t the demons alive just because Anna is alive? If that is true, then would it be more sensible to just kill Anna to deal with the Demons themselves? And I have a feeling that Ben Carson’s dilemma with spirits that live in mirrors is just an isolated case. So there are spirits with unfinished business, who need their host back and will do anything to find that host and kill everyone who wants to stop them. One word, VAGUE. What’s that about with Amy Smart in the tub, anyways?

But what I like about the movie is how it was presented. I like the music and inverted images of NYC in the opening credits. The horror sequences are delivered expertly with the paces unwavering with excellent sound effects. The setting and situation of the character are perfect for a “Sensible” horror movie. It’s not one of those horror movies born because of the character's stupidity. It’s a circumstantial type of horror movie, and the prying is warranted for. The character is after all a night guard in a place that’s destined to creep anyone one. An ancient deserted building full of mannequins and mirrors. The effects and imagery of ghosts are more developed versions of what's in The Eye. The flashbacks of Anna Esseker as a child are also nicely done.

BUT. BUT. BUT. (There's always a BUT)

Don’t expect for the story to be cohesive though. There are loopholes and riddles left to be discussed. But if you’re just bored and wanted to be scared, then this is worth the try. Looking at it objectively, the concept of mirrors as the demon or ghost world (which is the weak link) did not really tie it up for me. But in horror movies all it needs is a wild imagination and good execution. Some just intended to scare and not provide explanations at all. Sometimes we don't want them to explain, just scare us for that matter. At least I can say this movie achieved the scaring part. Just throw away the expectation for clarity and you'll survive grateful.

No comments: