Friday, October 10, 2008

Project Runway Philippines

I know that this might be a little bit delayed, but I find myself regularly watching Project Runway Philippines for the past few weeks. Although I’ve watched the first few episodes before, I wasn’t regularly viewing it until this guy Eli was booted out because of his “consistent” inconsistency. From that episode, I’ve watched it ever since. Last Wednesday they are down to the last three, the crème de la crème of the batch. These three candidates all have one last shot for their finale runway where they would get to show and direct their own collections as they see fit. No more challenges, no more instructions, just their own mini fashion show.

If you’re familiar with the show, well then good. If you’re not, well, just try catching it in DVD, also grab the American Version while you’re at it, because it’s way better.

THE EPISODE:


Anyways, the last episode was a clincher. Four designers/candidates were left and whoever gets booted out won’t be included in the finale of presenting their very own collection. As the coined term “This is it.” In some ways, the three finalists are already winners and have already achieved the "designer’s dream" to showcase their very own collection to fashion savants with National TV Coverage, talk about exposure. This is the end of all ends and would ultimately decide their fate.

THE CANDIDATES:

Mara, a 21 year old, edgy designer is a favorite of the judges. She is your avant-garde, edgy designer with so many fresh ideas, but with inexperienced skills in execution. But what’s good about her amidst the flaws is that she always intrigues people on what she would come up with. Sometimes I don’t like her, especially when she speaks, and sometimes I didn’t mind at all.

Meanwhile, Aries is a designer who is known to be really good with patterns. He is not afraid to use bold colors or use different techniques. He is very dedicated to fashion and very driven to win.

Veejay, 23, is also an experienced designer in so many ways. He has already competed internationally. He is very consistent with his modern-themed creations with innovative structures that spell convenience. He creates “wearable or milder” avant-garde versions of what Mara makes.

Philipp, 36, from Cebu is my favorite. He is very experienced and skilled in what he does. He is an efficient worker and very focused amidst the blurry times. What I like about him is that he is very honest and genuine. He may an expert in creating avant-garde or modern creations, but he gets his inspiration from romantic themes. He sources strength from traditions, dress making and gown-making. He is also best to understand how to dress a woman.


I cannot even believe I would be quite familiar with all of this as I did not have any prior inkling to fashion reality shows at all. Fashion is not really my cup of tea, but probably I could appreciate dresses and designs in initial glance. Sometimes it’s funny that WHAT I DON’T LIKE seems PHENOMENAL to the judges; and creations WHICH I LIKE seem to be lacking of creativity to them. I just don’t get it, but since I only judge the creation on superficial points versus what the Judges, who are experts in this industry, see behind the skill, geometry and theme, supreme judgment goes to them.

THE SERIES:

Watching project runway is imagining candidates cram in a Home Economics class, only that they end up making dresses and not cross stitch samples (Gosh, how I hated the cross-stitch program). They are under time constraint to finish the dresses single handedly. You have to be good with your hands like a dentist and really good with mental geometry, which are my WEAKEST points.

It’s even harder when they run out of creative juices because judges always seem to demand more aside from impeccable skill. They want something fresh and eye catching. They want something innovative and creative on top of wanting the candidates to be consistent. IN short, Rajo dares for a formidable competition to eat some portions of the fashion pie. While Apples Aberin would want a new designer that she could inevitably run to. All in all it’s a tough job, and being booted out in national TV where Philippines is so small, most probably entails another internal challenge. I’m sure one of these days I’ll see one of the designers in the metro.

But the show is not that catty as I have imagined. I’m sure a lot goes into editing. But you can see nips and pieces of Filipino culture. Backstabbing. Helping…then backstabbing. Gossiping. Ego Tripping. Slacking. Plastikan Oh, the usual, nothing quite new. What’s weird about it is that sometimes they try so hard to say everything in English. It just destroys the moment.


THE OUTCOME

BTW, Mara lost last night (Great). So it’s down to Aries, Veejay and Philipp. For the first time ever, I think I’m interested to watch a legitimate fashion show.

No comments: