Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Crazy, unhealthy Decision I made today

I literally spent four hours at the mall today. From 12 till 4 pm I was having lunch with former co-workers and I didn’t even notice the time. For a watch person? Nah. Truth was I tried not to notice the time to at least compensate the 2-shifts I would be miraculously pulling off today.

I woke up at 6 in the morning, went to work at 7 and read an email suggesting or requiring (whatever) that I should attend a seminar to be held at the States the time when I should be at home sleeping. The news surprisingly didn’t upset me. I felt a hint of possibility. I could’ve easily declined, but since I just love learning new stuff and taking advantage of the free Friday and ahem…new information, I decided to see beyond the grueling hassles of being in a graveyard shift. But first, I had to make a few phone calls.

I made a phone call to my direct supervisor who is in the States if it’s okay for me to attend the global seminar, which means I would have to cover two shifts straight. In short, from this morning of Thursday, my work would end the next morning (Friday, at 6 am). Never mind the junk food and fast food overload. Never mind the sleepless and caffeine infused night. The appeal of starting the weekend early, pretty much sleeping the entire Friday seems more attractive to me. With the sordid mishap that affected my previous weekend, I need to recharge. After having said my proposal, she willingly let me be.

The second phone call I made was to inform my landlord and landlady (in short anyone at the house) to tell them that I will be coming home the next morning (just in case they might still be having the heart to look for me). I talked to my sister to pack up some stuff for the driver to drop at my office. I asked her to pack undergarments, basic toiletries, slippers and jacket. I think for moments like these, I should prepare for an overnight bag.

I also called Mitch to inform him of my status and he just laughed at my misfortune. But I’m sincerely happy for giving him a day off. He’s been staying up late for a couple of nights while waiting for me finish my work at the office. He ends up spending more than he’s used to in cafes and restaurants while I try to finish my job before 10 pm. Now, at least he will be able to do stuff for himself and rest.

So having accomplished everything, I wanted to whack myself in the head for letting my ego defeat me. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to stay awake the whole night. I’m not even sure if I can still pull through, but at least there’s a nearby Starbucks to keep me going. Oh right, they only open till 2 am. Blast. Then on to Mini Stop for a Red Bull drink.

After accepting my fate, I can already see myself sleeping in my gloomy room, engulfed in puffed comforter with air conditioning and cartoon to soothe me the whole Friday. When counting my eggs before they are hatched, suddenly a former colleague of mine called and asked me if I was free for lunch. Since I’m not “loaded” today, I just asked someone at the office to monitor my database and to notify me if something comes up.

I went to the lobby, settled some bank tasks, took a cab and met my friends in Icebergs Glorietta. There I engulfed my lunch in the form of their very comforting Strawberry-Mango con hielo (A Must try). And you know the whole story, time just flew by. Before we know it’s already 3 in the afternoon. So after our quick rendezvous, I went to Shoe Mart, bought Japanese Takoyaki Balls for my real lunch and looked around the mall to wait for my driver to pick me up and drop me back at the office, now with my “overnight stuff.” It was just so fun, and I sensed that I needed to finish my Christmas shopping fast. I haven’t started at all and I don’t know how when I’m already running out of resources. Most probably I’ll just result to a one-day shopping affair like what always happens anyway. But the brief experience of the newly improved Shoe Mart Makati, the sight of their wonderful finds and the stuff made my “once-in-a-year” shopping need intensified. (On to the next post about possibilities in SM)

To make the long and wacky afternoon short, I got back at the office at 4, checked my emails and thought about the impulsive and crazy decision I’ve made. I sincerely felt I’ve made the right choice. Good thing I would be able to start the weekend early. And by Saturday I’ll be fully recharged to assist an impromptu photo shoot, shop for gifts and stuff and have a cozy dinner with Mitch.

Just some thoughts to help me get through this night till morning.

No comments: