Thursday, December 4, 2008

My daily morning obstacles

I feel like I’ve been on a consecutive obstacle course for the past few days… in heels. Today was an extra challenge because it rained and I didn’t have an umbrella. Well, I don’t really bring an umbrella in the first place. Since I’ve been going home late from work, I also wake up late than usual. Too lazy to drive and go through the hassle of looking for a parking spot at 10 in the morning, I just ask the driver to take me to the shuttle station and just figure out how I’m going to get home from the office, which is much easier via my boyfriend, sister or company service.

For the past few days I would find myself roaming around the house like a zombie, play with Harvey, and occasionally steal glances at my dad who patrols the house and asks me if I’ll drive myself to the office. After an hour or so, I would leave the house with my crappy outfit, Crappy according to my sister is comfortable yet very unstylish ensemble. I would ask the driver to just drop me off at the nearby shuttle station that offers rides that go straight to my office area. I'll figure out how I would be going home later.

I got my black, over-worn jacket and zipped it up to prepare for another rainy morning obstacle course. People wouldn't normally think that I commute. They would see me swallowing the hassles of bringing a car, given this metro's dreaded conditions, sometimes I surprise myself also. Recently, I find myself treading in puddles of water with my pairs of heels..enjoying at that. Falling in line and sometimes hitting a jackpot of having a human smoke belcher in front of me (this part I don’t enjoy). I would usually find my cash short (like 5 pesos short) and end up trekking to the nearby ATM to pay for the shuttle ride of 45 pesos(this part I scold myself). I would also find myself walking longer distance if I accidentally get out of the ride too early because of my random stupidity. Being literally drenched because I just don’t imagine myself bringing an umbrella is a norm. By the time I get to the lobby of my office, my hair is like a haystack, my clothes mangled and my shoes drenched and dusty. I just spent roughly 30 minutes falling in line, commuting in an airconditioned unit and an additional 5-10 minutes walking, but I would always look like I came from a half-day mountain hike.

I'm waiting for myself to snap because so far it doesn’t bother me at all like what happened this morning. Since I love the rain, I walked through it. I'd feel such a city-slicker like a person walking in the streets of New York, only that it’s hotter and I’m nowhere near half New York. It’s totally a different case if I’m rushing though. But It’s good that I’ve managed to love this morning obstacle and look beyond the hassle. I’m lucky to live in the south also, commuting is far easier and accessible. That’s why when Mitch called me this morning to know where I was, he wanted to pick me up, bend the car coding rules and bring me to the office if he only knew I was commuting on a rainy day. I said that I was fine and not to worry. Every word I said rang true. In this obstacle, I would always end up feeling I won.

No comments: