Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Try Reading online...oops

After weeks of surviving reading gaps, I've finally finished Richard Kadrey's THE Blind Shrike. It is an amazingly interesting book. It's set in Modern San Franscisco, but a large chunk of its premise is fantasy-based that incorporates different worlds, demons and EVERYTHING! Imagination is highly required or ignited. It's as if I'm reading one of Neil Gaiman's modern stories like American Gods. So those who are brave enough to try this kind of genre, you'll definitely love its humor and traditional good vs. evil plot.

But that's not the entire point.

The point is that I've been reading THE BLIND SHRIKE in my office PC for a couple of weeks now just to fill the dreaded LULL time just like a commercial in between report generation! Instead of chatting and eating out, I would result to reading Ebooks instead. Complete Isolation with my muted IPOD as props (so I could fall deaf and be untouchable). Reading actual books I have with me is far too obvious. Some people won't understand that I've managed to create LULL times when they find desperate ways to stretch theirs to meet deadlines. I can't have that contempt reflecting on my office conduct. It destroys my score in everything else. Therefore, I've resulted to this magical alternative. It's subtle and liberating. Thank god for having these sites survive the infamous company site-block radar.


So after this, I'm off to a new book(apart from the regular books I read offline), which is The Good Solider A Tale Of Passion by Ford Madox Heuffer. Interesting. This book is "loosely based on 2 real-life incidents of adultery and on Ford's own messy personal life." - manybooks.net. Sounds draining, but equally fun to me. See what I mean?

So, I couldn't help myself. I've blown my own cover. I've also managed to share this to a couple of bookworms I work with. This keeps us hanging on to those dreadful and dragging days at the office. What's also good about this is, it doesn't hurt your budget and it makes us bolder with our choices. Here, we can afford to take risks all the time. But as diverse as the selections are presented to us, nothing beats the real thing, but then again this is a better alternative especially in the office.

To maximize this post go to www.manybooks.net and find your own treasure. (And be sure to practice that Alt-TAB move)

PS: Just for good natured fun and learning, search for KAMA SUTRA...yep they have that there. It could be that educational and entertaining too. Just a warning, just use your imagination. Unfortunately, there are no images here. ;p

No comments: