Sunday, December 14, 2008

Poor Little Harvey

When we were at mass my sister pointed out a flyer about spiritual blessing of dogs in our village. I quickly ran to her and saw that the flyer was outdated. Out of annoyance, I quickly said "Harvey is blessed in a way. I think he's going to be fine."

What a way to teach me a lesson.

When we got home my aunt and helpers told me that Harvey is sick. He may be actually having a fever. I quickly examined him, as if I would really know better, hoping for the best. I carried him and tried to initiate one of our plays together but I am so sure he is not in his 100% spirit. He is still responsive, but he's not as wild as he used to be. He's not as wild as yesterday or early this morning. His eyes are droopy and he likes to shut them all the time. He likes to sleep more than usual and squeeze himself in the tiniest and cramped up spaces. Although he ate his dinner, drank some water, he didn't finish it. He usually does.

My dad wanted me to quickly drive him to the vet. My mother said to wait till morning since they already gave him a doze of paracetamol. I called Mitch to confirm if dogs do have fever. I couldn't recall any experience of having dogs with fever. I think this happens rarely. What really worries me is that dogs are naturally warm creatures. If ever they have fever that's left untreated for a bit, is there a possibility they could fry their brains or organs?

I quickly called my vet's office and the staff informed me to call his cell phone. I did and I think he was attending some function at that time. He told me to observe and feel his nose. IF the nose is dry, most probably he has fever. As long as he still eats and responses to basic commands, then it's best to observe other signs. He also said that Harvey should be given a paracetamol, which we already did. If he becomes worse in the morning I would probably have to take him to the vet.




Harvey is really adorable. I can't think of anything bad that would ever happen to him. I wish I could still could play with him though, but I'm scared of tiring him out. Maybe I could sneak him up in my room till he gets better.

No comments: