Saturday, December 13, 2008

Out with the Old. In with the New

Out with the Old. In with the new.

This afternoon I would probably get my Birthday Present from Mitch, granted that the "connection" goes well. Mitch, ever so practical, wanted me to have this for so long. He's been dropping hints that I really need this and I haven't realized how much my life would become so much easier. Since I don't harbor any further interest in any other gadgets or hobbies like photography, phones etc, he knows a BRAND NEW LAPTOP would surely do me good. Based on his sales talk, he wanted me to get this to make me connected 24/7. It is a convenient must have for writing. Also, since I like hanging around in isolation, this would also provide me with another useful alternative. Apparently for him, this is the ONLY glaring thing I need that I have always taken for granted.


*HP MINI NOTE
At first I wasn't really taking it in because I OWN MY OWN LAPTOP. But I must admit people have cursed its weight and it's "outdatedness." Aside from the weight, which made me and Mitch suffer from random shots of back pains, it's failing on portable connectivity.

Fine.

Against new gadgets nowadays, my old one is failing miserably. But it has served its years and era. It's just a fact of tech-life to switch to slimmer, to faster, to more convenient gadgets. But the thing is I'm not that techie enough to itch for the latest and slimmest gadgets or phones out there. I must admit I also harbor the American Mentality that "the bigger the item, the better it is."

Well that's the mentality Mitch wants to change in me and I've also proven false. He is a Japanese-minimalist. For him, I should make my life easier by taking advantage of what technology has to offer. That at least for once, I go take the technology-plunge and changing my laptop is one of the best tech-plunges he'll ever made for me.

So, probably I'm saying goodbye to my Compaq Presario, which served me for 5 years or was it more? It was so long that I've forgotten. I'll be missing those heavy treks from Greenbelt to Glorietta like a hunchback. Goodbye for the wide screen you've provided for the portable gaming experience. Goodbye to wired internet connection that is such an effort to see when everyone's gone wi-fi. I was never ashamed of you though. Truth is, I couldn't care less.


Now, I have to appreciate and see Mitch's effort on researching the perfect laptop for me. He wanted it to fit on my big tote bags, and since he's a MAC boy, I just can see his urge to encourage me in buying a macbook, but I simply refuse to buy a MAC because I wouldn't be really maximizing it. I would only go use it for Word, storing pictures and stuff. Most importantly I can't just fit it in my tote bag. If ever I'm going to find myself with a new laptop it should really striping off any inconveniences. If I need to get myself a new one, it's supposed to be the best for me. Period. But like shopping for clothes, gadget shopping is just something that passes me by. It's gone to optional as I'm not a tech-slave.

So for months he searched and searched and saw a perfect unit for me. You see, I leave all the technical stuff to him. I trust him completely with whatever tech-specs I would need. The things that make the laptop work, the things that make the laptop faster, I leave it up to him. I don't investigate or ask him about the technical stuff anymore. I'm expecting he has studied the specs and matched it with my personality. He is just randomly asking me to participate in choosing my birthday gift to drive the point that I have a connection with the laptop, just like what we did when he got me Harvey. As long as I like how the screen looks like and how my fingers play through the keys, then I think I'll be bringing home a new baby today.

In with the new. Out with the old. Well not totally. I'll still have my Presario with me as a back up, and now just fully changed "desktop" in my room. Bottom line, as long as it does the job effortlessly, then I welcome the change. They say it takes approximately 18 months to make the gadget obsolete, well that doesn't really apply to me.





*PIX:

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mininote.jpg

No comments: