Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Well Deserved Retirement

My dad is finally retiring, or so he says. I am essentially happy. I should be. It’s been a prophecy postponed year after year. Ever since High School, every Christmas season when the year is about to end, he would always utter the same line. “I’m done. I’m retiring effective next year. From now on I will reduce my occupation to being my kids’ driver.” When he would say it, my sister would tremble because who would buy her luxury items when my dad doesn’t have any source of income anymore? Who would pay for my younger brother’s schooling? Who would safeguard us from this and that? But come 1st quarter of the following year, he still can’t find himself settling down. He still works, that’s why we’d just believe him if it actually happens.

But a challenge and a surprise came in 2007-2008 when he has accomplished a major feat. He has built himself his ‘dream’ house, his very own mini-project. He has again uplifted his family from stresses and inconveniences, but I think the house is an end mark to all his lifetime efforts. I can feel that the house is the last on his checklist before he retires, and now that he has accomplished it, I don’t think there’s anything else that he needs to do or prove. I’m happy to know that he has lived a hard, yet rewarding life. He saw where his money went, and hopefully as his children, we didn’t entirely disappoint him. He has been a good professional. He has been known to be a remarkable person in the industry. He is a good friend, a good brother and most certainly the ideal provider, a natural family man. Not once in his shelter I felt deprived or worried. He would always be the ultimate provider. He has made resources available and I would always feel how powerful he is, even if he is just a “normal” man. That’s why it would still take me years and countless efforts to even match what he did.

That’s why I’m happy for him. I’m happy that he finally considers retiring seriously. He has lived a challenging life and he needs to rest and enjoy whatever’s left, the fruits of his labor. It’s good that he would stop pulling his eyebrows and hide about all the painful efforts just because his kids are still young. It’s good that he’s taking a break from pulling up the pillars, because being the best provider for more than 20 years might be rewarding, but not a walk in the park. HE deserves to rest, unwind and leave the responsibilities he already accomplished again and again behind.

Although, happy, I cannot deny that I’m worried because I wouldn’t know what to expect. HE has always been the provider in our family. Now he would completely let go of that role and I’m sure that the paradigm would change. I don’t fear for myself though. Ever since I had a job, he has never been forced to spend for me. No allowances, no assistance since day 1 of employment. I would always be the one to take care of my own expenditures and finances. Sure that I still live with them and occasionally eat with them, but I’ve reduced to a ghostly housemate. There were times that they paid for something that they wanted me to do like funding international trips that they’ve initiated, but it’s always their prerogative and it’s been very minimal. I’m never the luxurious type of kid anyways. Expenditure wise, I’m very bearable for any parent. I couldn’t say the same to my siblings though. My sister and especially my brother experienced the over-generous version of my father. I was particularly harder and the more practical child.

I’m also weary since the timing couldn’t be better. The global market is in recession and it’s been evident that every household has experienced the whiplash of the economic slowdown. According to reports, the incoming year of 2009 would be harder than 2008. My parents would surely impose cost-cutting most especially if my dad is already on a relaxed state. Just like any company right now, we have to tighten our belts. Probably with the new house and everything we’d minimize our dining out as a family. Since we all love to eat and try out new places, probably we’d reserve that for bigger occasions to make it more special. Also, with the endless improvements, we could save on electricity by not watching TVS in our own separate rooms or we also wouldn’t lock ourselves up in our respective rooms and run the air-conditioning for 12 hours straight. We wouldn’t try to ask our help to cook separate meals for us. I’d gather cooperation from my siblings not to ask for anything else under the sun and always consider if the object is a need or a want. It’s time that we become cost-efficient and more independent. It’s the least we could do and it’s always a start.

He is amazing. He has done a great job by all standards. He needs to rest and enjoy whatever’s left that is solely his. I’m anxious about the changes, but it’s just normal. I think we’re not that dumb to accept the new circumstances and be frail enough to faint and disappoint him. We came from his own tough bones. He might be retiring, but the point is we’re trying to take over slowly but surely.

No comments: